Monday, May 31, 2010

Angst of an Organizer

So first off, the whole posting twice a week thing has been an abysmal failure. I didn't realize it had been quite so long but a month has passed without writing anything. Ah well, such are the pleasures of my so-called real life. I'll try to be better. Really, I will!

In any organizing campaign, I think it is important to look at the motivation of the parties involved. Of primary importance is the workers who are organizing. Second, why is the union willing to put resources into a campaign? Finally, and frankly of least importance to me, is management's reason for resisting.

I think my union usually is involved with campaigns for the right reasons. Building density, earning good contracts and in general working to build a movement of working people to change the class conditions in this country. I decided years ago if I believed my employer wasn't doing things for mostly the right reasons, I would leave.

The motivations often inform the day to day decisions of a campaign. Unfortunately, the impetus to get involved in a campaign can result in decisions that endanger the employment terms for front line worker. Here I am not talking about workers putting themselves in public to help the campaign. I'm talking about strategic campaign decisions. This is one of the most difficult things I have to deal with as an organizer. It sucks. That's really all I've got.

No comments:

Post a Comment