Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Let the well intentioned posts commence!

To start with, this post may not be the most coherent. I'm sitting here, trying to write while listening to the oh so (un)helpful automated system of AT&T tech support. After "borrowing" internet from a neighbor for far too long, I will finally have my own connection.

So what's this about?

The intention of this blog is to be a repository of my thoughts. In general, I think this will contain my views on organizing. This will probably be mixed in with occasional thoughts on music, movies, food, or a particularly enjoyable beverage. I want to write at least once a week, hopefully twice.

So why blog?

My thoughts often come in scattered pulses. I need to start being more intentional about cataloging what I think and constructing individual ideas into larger theories.

Since leaving grad school, my critical thinking skills not directly associated with my job have surely atrophied. I believe my writing isn't horrible but I need to put words on the screen so I do not lose all ability.

I miss writing. This became clear to me while editing a friend's paper. I miss the process of sitting down and creating. If I can be honest with myself (as if there were anyone else viewing this) there is an amount of narcissism in this. I admit it, I think I'm smart. Not the smartest person in the room smart but certainly brighter than average. Through this blog, I'll either see the folly of this belief or come up with an idea I can turn into something more.

I like venting. Working for the labor movement has been incredibly rewarding for me. This is true both from a job satisfaction and personal satisfaction perspective. However, it can be very frustrating to work within the contexts of the modern American labor movement. I need to be able to post my thoughts to the ether, a place where I won't get myself in trouble with coworkers or bore friends.


I think that summarizes my intentions and where I am coming from. I'll stop writing for tonight and theoretically post again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment